As you may recall from part 2 of the design diary, I was implementing various features to make the game more interesting.
I tackled those over the last few days as time permitted. It was challenging mainly because the parts of the program I needed to amend were parts that I did not fully grasp at first. In fact, it took a lot of trial and error to find out what would give me the desired results. In retrospect, there were parts that I could have done much more efficiently. On the plus side, I've learned just a little bit more about the logic that went into this thing in the first place.
But that's all water under the bridge now. The program works as I intended it to. I had considered giving the game "Easy" and "Hard" settings, but I'm finding the easy to be too easy and the hard to be too hard - with no middle ground. So I may combine the two and start the game out easy and make it harder after a certain milestone is passed.
Now that the game works, it's time to put in the "bells and whistles." All of the things that make it pretty. That means replacing the temporary interface with a fancy one and putting in instructions and other useful feedback. Then, at last, I can publish! I hope you'll stick around for that. :)
Labels: design, Flash, quilt game